History of the university
The history of the University began in the reign of Katherine II, when it was announced on May 25, 1779 (on May 14, according to Julian Calendar) that the Surveying School had to be opened. The school was named after the Great Prince Konstantin Pavlovich, the grandson of Katherine II, born that year, and it got the name “Konstantinovsky”.
The government and Katherine II personally patronized and supported the school from the date of its establishment emphasizing on the significance of land use planning and special surveying education.
The lack of land surveyors and importance of land surveying for the state initiated the establishment of the school.
The significance of land use planning was underlined in the legal documents of those days: "Current surveying is such a business, which is performed not only to the benefit and peace of every holder but also to the state business including the glory of the Emperor and advantage of peace and quiet for the whole State."
Katherine II wrote on the surveying instruction of May 25, 1766: "Strengthen, my Lord, the property of Your people", emphasizing on the inviolability of the surveyed land property and on the significance of land administration.
Sergey Aksakov, well-known Russian writer, was the first director of the Konstantinovsky Surveying Institute and was the author of its first Charter. Vissarion Belinsky, the great Russian literary critic and philosopher, and Ivan Zabelin, famous Russian professor and historian, were teaching classes of history in the school.
The Surveying School was renamed into the Konstantinovsky Surveying College in 1819, and later into the Konstantinovsky Surveying Institute in 1835. The Russian emperors laid great stress on surveying in Russia. Nicholas II and, subsequently, Alexander II visited the Konstantinovsky Surveying Institute many times and were satisfied completely with the quality of the surveying education. The name of the institute was complemented by the honorable title “Imperial” for its educational services for Russia. The Konstantinovsky Surveying Institute was the educational establishment for male students till the Revolution in 1917.
The Moscow Surveying Institute (the new name of the University) made a new step in its development in 1917. The new Charter of the Institute was elaborated in 1918 and surveying took a new political meaning. According to the decision of the Commission on Reform of Higher and Secondary Education of the Council of People's Commissars, the Moscow Surveying Institute was established on the basis of the Surveying Faculty in 1930 and the Moscow Geodetic Institute (subsequently, the Moscow State University of Geodesy and Cartography) was established on the basis of the Geodetic Faculty.
In 1945 the Moscow Surveying Institute was renamed into the Moscow Institute of Land Use Planning Engineers (MIIZ). On January 18, 1991 it was decided to form the State University of Land Use Planning (GUZ) and with that new name the University entered the third century of its existence.
Retaining historical traditions and preserving spiritual inheritance, by subscription of graduates, professors and supported by students the University restored in-house Church of Saint Constantine & Helen which had been destroyed in 1922. In June of 2001 the church was consecrated solemnly by Patriarch Alexei II of Moscow and All Russia.
Currently the State University of Land Use Planning is the unique special and the largest educational establishment in Russia where all professional educational programs concerning land are concentrated in the same university. The University trains land use planning and surveying engineers, architects, lawyers, economists to manage land resources and land market, land and real estate appraisers and other experts.
Museum of the History of land use planning