History of the university
The University history began in the reign of Katherine II, when it was announced on May 25, 1779 (on May 14, Julian Calendar) that the Surveying School should be opened. The school was named Konstantinovsky by the name of Great Prince Konstantin Pavlovich, the grandson of Katherine II who was born in the year.
The government and Katherine II herself patronized and supported the school from the date of its establishing emphasizing a significance of land use planning and special surveying education.
Lack of land surveyors and state importance of land surveying initiated establishing of the school.
The legislation of the day emphasized significance of land use planning: "Current surveying is a business, which is performed not only to the benefit and peace of every holder but the state business containing the Emperor glory and advantage of peace and quiet for all the State."
Katherine II wrote on the surveying instruction of May 25, 1766: "Strengthen, my Lord, the property of Your people", emphasizing inviolability of surveyed land property and significance of land management.
The first director of the Konstantinovsky Surveying Institute and the author of its first Charter was well-known Russian writer Sergey Aksakov. Great Russian literary critics and philosopher Vissarion Belinsky was a professor of Russian then and famous Russia historian Ivan Zabelin taught history in the academy.
The Surveying School was renamed into the Konstantinovsky Surveying College in 1819 and- into the Konstantinovsky Surveying Institute in 1835. Russian emperors laid a great stress on surveying in Russia. Nicholas II and, subsequently, Alexander II visited the Konstantinovsky Surveying Institute many times and were content with the quality of surveying education. The Institute name was complemented by honorable title Imperial for its education services for Russia. The Konstantinovsky Surveying Institute was an educational establishment for male students up to the Revolution of 1917.
The Moscow Surveying Institute (the new name of the University) made a new step in its development in 1917. The new Institute Charter was developed in 1918 and surveying took a new political meaning. Under the decision made by the CNK Commission on Reform of Higher and Secondary Education, the Moscow Surveying Institute was established on the basis of Surveying Faculty in 1930 and the Moscow Geodetic Institute (subsequently, the Moscow State University of Geodesy and Cartography) - on the basis of the Geodetic Faculty.
In 1945 the Moscow Surveying Institute was renamed in the Moscow Institute of Land Use Planning Engineers (MIIZ). On January 18, 1991 the decision to form the State University of Land Use Planning (GUZ) was made and with this new name the University entered in the third century of its history.
Retaining historical traditions and preserving spiritual inheritance, the University restored in-house Church of Saint Constantine & Helen destroyed in 1922 by subscription of graduates, professors supported by students. The solemn consecration of the church by All Russia Patriarch Alexy II took part in June of 2001.
Currently the State University of Land Use Planning is the unique special and the largest educational establishment in Russia where all professional educational programs concerning Earth, are concentrated at one university. The University trains land use planning and surveying engineers, architects, lawyers, economists to manage land resources and land market, land and real estate evaluators and others experts.